Thursday, March 22, 2012

Short Biography

I was born in Aviano, Italy, just north of Venice. My father served in the military (Air Force) and we lived in Italy, Spain, and then Sacramento. My first language was actually Spanish, and my sisters and I didn’t speak English until we attended an American school at Travis Air Force Base. I was eight when I first learned to speak English, almost overnight, out of sheer necessity.


My mother is Spanish (from Madrid) and my father was raised on a dairy farm in Vermont. They met in Paris, where my mother attended university and where my father was stationed. 

I am married to a Canadian man. We met on the “Booze Cruise” in Oahu, Hawaii, in 1985. Being a Taurus, he had me in his mental crosshairs more or less from the moment he spoke to me, and did not give up until… Well, it doesn’t hurt to keep me happy, even now.

We have a daughter and a son, both adults now. They are pleasant, well-adjusted, confident people who have brought us a lot of joy and very little trouble. Ironically, we never planned to have children and our daughter was a “surprise,” to say the least. After she was born, we felt obligated to provide her with a playmate, hence the arrival of our son. We have no regrets about adding him to the group. 

We live about six blocks from my parents' house and my two sisters also live in the neighborhood. 

When I was younger, I expected to live an exotic life and did not take into account that one must eat and have a roof over one's head. So over the years, I was forced to add a little more reality to the mix, although it goes against my nature. 

Through my writing, I can add more color to my days and still live in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment